Need a good reason to tuck into a creamy chocolate treat? Well 6 March marks the 100-year anniversary of the launch of Oreos. To celebrate, we've rounded up some of the best Oreo recipes. Check these out…
Oreo chocolate and lemon truffles
Zesty lemon works so well with the dark chocolate flavour of Oreo cookies. Choose between plain or white chocolate, or make both. They're great with coffee, and taste even better the next day. Makes about 12.
140g Oreos, blitzed into fine crumbs
100g soft cheese (we used Philadelphia)
100g white or plain chocolate (or 50g of each, melted separately)
[Related story: Asda's Easter egg claims annual taste test top spot]
1. In a large bowl, mix together the Oreo crumbs and soft cheese until it forms a smooth, dark paste. Pinch out pieces of the mixture and roll into balls, about 2.5cm wide. Place on a clean, non-stick baking sheet (one that will fit into the freezer) and spear each ball with a cocktail stick. Keep going until all the mixture is used up.
2. Slide the baking tray, with the speared truffles on it, into the freezer and leave for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, gently melt the chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Take off the heat and stir in the zest of one lemon.
4. Once the 20 minutes are up, take out the frozen Oreo truffles and drizzle each one with the lemon-scented chocolate, until they are all coated. Leave to set on a sheet of greaseproof paper. Before each one sets, sprinkle with a little zest from the other lemon.
5. Once the chocolate coating has completely hardened, gently remove each cocktail stick and place the truffles on a serving plate. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Oreo mini meringues
These shop-bought mini meringues are sandwiched together with Oreo cookie cream. Quick, easy and delicious. Makes 8.
100ml double cream
¼ tsp vanilla essence
3 Oreos, crushed to fine crumbs
1. Whip the cream until it forms stiff peaks, and stir in the vanilla.
2. Reserve 3 tbsp of the Oreo crumbs and tip onto a saucer. Gently fold the rest of the crushed cookies into the whipped cream and vanilla.
3. With a spoon, smear a meringue with some of the Oreo cream and sandwich with another meringue. Roll the sides of the meringues into the reserved crumbs and place on a serving plate. Serve immediately.
Here, Oreos are crushed into a classic buttercream icing and swirled onto a chocolate cupcake. Makes 12.
For the cake:
100g soft, unsalted butter
110g caster sugar
110g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp plain cocoa powder
¼ tsp vanilla essence
½ tsp milk
¼ tsp instant espresso powder
For the icing:
75g soft, unsalted butter
150g icing sugar
¼ tsp vanilla essence
40g (about 4) Oreos
6 Oreos, halved, to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4. Cream together the butter and sugar and then beat in the eggs. Stir in the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, vanilla essence, milk and espresso powder and mix until smooth.
2. Fill a silicone muffin tray (or standard muffin tin lined with paper baking cups) with the mixture and bake for 15-20 minutes, until cooked. Leave to cool.
3. For the icing, beat together the butter and icing sugar until it forms a stiff, pale yellow mixture. Trickle in the vanilla essence and stir well.
4. Blitz the Oreos in a food processor or tip into a freezer bag and bash with a rolling pin until they resemble fine crumbs. Stir this into the buttercream mixture. If the icing is a little too rigid, mix in a small amount of milk to loosen it slightly.
5. When the cakes are cool, pipe on the icing and push half an Oreo onto each cake to decorate.
Grown-up Oreo milkshake
This take on the classic Oreo and milk combination is for grown-ups only — and is laced with rum. You can also try other liqueurs that work well with chocolate, such as Tia Maria, Baileys or Crème de Cacao — or just serve without the alcohol, if you prefer. Serves 2.
150g good-quality vanilla ice cream
150ml semi-skimmed milk
1-2 tsp dark rum, to taste
3 whole Oreos
Oreo crumbs, to decorate
1. Measure out the ice cream, milk and the whole Oreos into a blender. Blitz until it forms a fairly thick, frothy milkshake, speckled with the crushed Oreos. Stir in the rum.
2. Pour out into two glasses and sprinkle over the Oreo crumbs, to decorate.
Will you try any of these recipes? What's your favourite way to eat Oreos?