Guys, listen up. If you’re looking to impress a woman on a first date, don’t whip out your iPhone, even if it is the 5.
More than half of people (53 per cent) polled in a new study admit use their smartphones while they’re out for dinner with their other half, but almost two thirds of women (65 per cent) get annoyed with their partner for doing so.
Only a third of men, on the other hand, said it would annoy them if their partner did the same thing.
[Related article: Should you ‘Tweet What You Eat’ to get slim?]
The poll, by Curry’s and PC World, also found that women are more likely to browse social networking sites on their phone or tablet over dinner than men.
Facebook is the biggest distraction, with more than two thirds (66 per cent) checking this social networking site over dinner, with a third scanning their Twitter timeline.
[Related article: 7 worst first date mistakes]
The most popular things people do on social networking sites over dinner include:
• Posting pictures of their food
• Checking into the restaurant and
• Updating their status
Only 29 per cent of people surveyed said that going on Facebook and Twitter over dinner enhanced their conversation, so we’re assuming the other 71 per cent think it’s a distraction from real life conversation.
Are you guilty of tweeting while you’re eating?