With summer ending and autumn here, it's time to swap that warm weather wardrobe for your winter gear. I really love autumn and am a sucker for tights in berry tones (purple, burgundy, deep pink etc). They have always had a prominent place on my wardrobe and this autumn is no different.
1. Red alert! Following the red catwalk invasion for AW'12, these Falke tights in Lipstick (Pure Matt 50) team with Bertie's black platform court shoes perfectly. They're elegant, sexy but not vulgar, and will take you from the office to post-work drinks in style! Wear with a black miniskirt for best effect.
2. Channelling next year's release of Oz the Great and Powerful (the prequel to The Wizard of Oz), these vintage stripy tights paired with Office's blue glitter brogues give a wicked Dorothy feel without looking too young. The blue gives an edge to the black and white stripes, which will go with dark solid colours. It's modern and trendy with an edge. Result!
3. If the idea is to go for a cool and casual look, team up these ultra soft Falke tights in Violett (Pure Matt 50) with my much-loved Swedish Hasbeens (these peep toe super high in Cognac are perfect). You'll get a quirky result without looking like you're trying too hard.
4. Here are my burgundy Accessorize tights worn with my blue Office glitter brogues again. I just love these together so much. Despite the glitter, the shoe is a dark blue, and because the tights are matte (and 60 denier), it's spot-on autumn pick.
5. Last but not least, these a-ma-zing diamond pattern tights from Burlington are perfect for visiting a new exhibition, checking out a restaurant opening or just popping out for a cheeky drink in East London. Again paired with the brown Swedish Hasbeens, they look retro and can be worn with a bright-coloured dress or skirt, such as red (all shades), a darker hue of blue or with dark green.
The main thing is to be creative. I have to feel comfortable in the combo I'm wearing and I try to mirror my mood: some days my vibe asks for prints and bold colours, but other days I just want to do dark block colours. Go on, give it a try! Dare to go for the colours and prints, and leave the boring black tights behind!