They may look great on celebs including Kim Kardashian and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, but it seems down here in the real world, we’re more likely regret jumping onto the leather trousers bandwagon.
It’s been revealed in a survey by Lambrini that nearly half of women (46 per cent) who buy a pair of leather trews regret splashing the cash. But it’s not just leather we waste our money on. The survey also found that almost four out of five women (79 per cent) have items of clothing that they regret buying.
[Related article: Leather Fashion Trend]
Reasons for regretting items we buy include realising the item looks cheap (according to 54 per cent of the women surveyed) and the fact it’s gone out of fashion (56 per cent), reports the Mail Online.
A third of 2,000 women polled said showing too much flesh was one of the reasons they ditched an outfit.
Other fashion items we regret buying include shell suits (37 per cent of us regret picking up one of those – what about the other 63 per cent?) and WAG favourite, the velour tracksuit.
Flourescent items of clothing, see through tops and 90s favourites including bum bags and puffa jackets also featured in the top, or should we say bottom, 10?
[Related article: Women ‘don’t share fashion bargains online’]
But it seems we have our friends to thank for steering us in the right fashion direction, as one in five women (21 per cent) said that their friends pointed out their fashion fails – while nearly a fifth of partners persuaded them to take off that embarrassing outfit.
“It seems all of us have a few items lurking in the wardrobe that we’d be embarrassed about wearing”, said Lambrini brand manager Lorna Tweed.
“It’s wise to shop with female friends and get advice from them before buying – there’s no point wasting money on something you’re never going to wear,” she added.
[Related article: Duchess of Cambridge 'loves' Bicester Village]
We’re just waiting to our neon puffa jacket circa 1995 to roll back into fashion. It’s only a matter of time, right?
Fashion items women most regret buying:
1) Leather trousers
2) Shell suits
3) Velour tracksuits
4) Fluorescent outfits
5) See-through tops
7) Crop tops / belly tops
8) Puffa jackets
10) Thigh high boots
11) Hot pants
14) Flared trousers
What’s your biggest fashion regret?