You will need
6 peeled whole pears
500ml red wine
500g golden caster sugar
zest 1 lemon
zest 1 orange
5 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
12 juniper berries
1. To make the poached pears, place everything (except the pears) into a pan, bring to a slow simmer, and cook for 10 minutes.
2. Add your pears and cook on a low simmer for 45 minutes to one hour.
3. Leave to cool in the liquid. It is best to leave them in there for a day so they are well marinated, you can then either serve them hot or cool.
4. To make the Venetian rice pudding, warm the Marsala then add the sultanas and continue to warm.
5. Once warmed through, then leave to stand for 30 minutes. Now place the rest of the ingredients into a pan (excluding the rice) then bring up to a very slow simmer, and then add the rice and Marsala and sultanas.
Click here to go to the original article on Red Online
Click here to see Poached pears with Venetian rice pudding
Click here to see The Ginger Pig’s spiced lamb pilaf
Click here to see Tom Aikens’ Lime and coriander chicken with broccoli rice salad