Spring is here! The warm weather has come to greet us and there is no better way to say return the greeting than to whip up a delicious hearty meal on the BBQ! So celebrate National Butchers' Week and the beginning of this beautiful season with the perfect hamburger recipe.
[Related feature: How to cook the perfect steak]
The perfect hamburger
- Ground beef and short ribs together will deepen the flavor in your burger.
- Don't overseason your burger! The only seasoning you need is salt and pepper.
- Grill at a high heat and let sear on each side. Don't touch the burger once you have it on the grill. Perfect burgers should be simple and left alone.
Serves three1 lb. ground beef
8 oz. short rib meat, ground
3 potato burger buns
3 cheddar cheese slices
1 large tomato
1 large red onion
1 head butter lettuce
3 Tbsp. mayonnaise
3 Tbsp. ketchup
salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef and ground short rib, mix well.
- Form three 8 oz. burgers patties.
- Season each side of the burgers with salt and cracked pepper to taste.
- Heat olive oil on grill pan, then start to cook the burgers for about 3 or 4 minutes on each side. Separately on the grill pan, grill onion slices until they are caramelized.
- When the burgers are almost done, place a slice of cheese on each patty to allow the cheese to melt.
- Once they are cooked, remove burgers from the pan and set aside and let rest for 2 minutes so the juice will redistribute into the meat.
- While the burgers rest, grill the bread face down on the same grill until toasted on each side.
- Spread a little mayo on the bread, top with the burger, lettuce and finish with ketchup.