Hands up anyone out there who has not read or heard of 'Fifty Shades of Grey' by E L James! After being given a copy of the novel to read a few weeks ago by my 87 year old neighbour, I'm beginning to feel that I am the last one to read this phenomenon.
The book gives a whole new meaning to porn like nothing before. We are all familiar with explicit publication but how often do you see yummy mummys, politicians or even your average pensioner reading such porn openly, be it on the tube, bus stop or beach, as if it was a regular Mills and Boon holiday romance. Not often I would suggest and if you did, you would probably look on with disdain. But not so for Fifty Shades.
The book seems to have loosened up our stiff upper collars and taken porn out into the open. The only reason you will find this book on the top shelf is because of its Number One status on the best sellers list.
I don't consider myself a prude; however I did raise an eyebrow or two at some of the content. The words "show me how you pleasure yourself" seemed to leap off the page conjuring up an exotic image that will play over in my mind for some time.
This yummy mummy porn is often discussed at the school gate. Whilst waiting to collect my daughter I've heard middle class, straight laced, Boden-wearing mummys, discussing how they acted out scenes straight from the book. All done behind closed doors, but openly discussed in public.
My friend and fellow mummy, Lydia, who often looks like she has just walked off the set of The Little House on the Prairie, was happy to share with me the thrill she had playing with balls - both her husband's and the ones she had purchased. Quite an unexpected conversation I can tell you!
Whilst I'm sure that most of these women have read copies of erotic novels before, it's their secret, and I have certainly never heard them discuss these books in public, let alone allow the books to see the light of day.
I found E L James's book to be simply written, easy to read and very titillating. In a funny way it felt empowering to be able to read it openly and without fear of being judged.
After reading plenty of other erotic mummy novels, these are my favourites:
- Delta of Venus by Anais Nin. A collection of intoxicating erotic stories that have a real adult feel, written in the 1940s but still intriguing today.
- Five After Dark by Sadie Matthews has a good story line about Beth, a small town girl in a big city. It contains some dominatrix themes and has a twist in the tale.
- Bared to You by Sylvia Day. If you enjoyed Fifty shades of Grey then this book if for you. It tells the story of sexually inexperience Eva and a rich alpha male Gideon. The story is quite an emotional one with some very descriptive sexy scenes.
- 12 Shades of Surrender and other stories. Published by Mills & Boon Spice (various authors). These stories have all of the trademark qualities associated with Mills & Boon with a good deal of spice.
- The Best of Lucy Felthouse by Lucy Felthouse. A collection or sexually explosive stories told from a woman point of view. This is an easy and enjoyable read.
- Haven Of Obedience by Marina Anderson. Natalie a successful single woman attends the Haven retreat in order to learn how to become less domineering in her relationships.
- Love Stories by Amy Cross. A collection of sexy reads, some with a surprising twist.