Appearances matter. No huge news there, especially when it comes to applying for a job. Who among you wouldn't wheel out your best LBD for a job interview? Exactly. But, as reported in this week's issue of Grazia magazine (via Debenhams beauty counter) the minutiae of your face could make or break your chances of success. And we're not not talking about unkempt hair, oh no, we mean no mascara, which could mean you are prone to crying, and red lipstick which implies your power-mad and likely to steal your interviewer's job. Who knew? So in light of this unnerving news, actual Bobbi Brown, queen of make-up, has given us a guide of what to wear make-up wise. You're welcome. And in the interim, go put some mascara on. Seriously.
Make-up matters (unless you're Karlie Kloss)
1. Spend time getting the basics right like Concealer and foundation. Creamy Concealer covers dark circles and instantly makes you look well-rested; the right foundation evens out skin tone, making your complexion look healthy and refreshed. For the most natural look, make sure the foundation is yellow-based; pink-based foundations look maskey on most people. Your concealer should be one shade lighter than your foundation.
2. Do get a good night’s rest, drink plenty of water, eat right and exercise. Beautiful skin reflects a healthy lifestyle.
3. Mascara and blush are key to a flawless makeup look. To create voluminous lashes it’s all about finding the blackest black mascara. I like to layer different formulas—lengthening and volumizing—for a false lashes effect. Last but not least, a pop of blush on the cheeks instantly gives the face a lift. For the most natural look, go for a shade that looks like your cheeks after you’ve just exercised.
1. I’m not a big fan of following every trend. Rather, I think it’s important to experiment with different looks until you find one that best suits your personality, style and skin tone. Be who you are.
2. Don’t forget about skincare and SPF. Moisturizer keeps skin hydrated, giving you a fresh and healthy appearance. It also helps ensure an even makeup application so skin looks flawless and fresh. Sun protection should be a part of your skincare regimen even during the cold winter months. Use a moisturizer with SPF 15 protection when you’re running errands or going to work.
3. Don’t overdo it. Wear color on just one part of your face—your eyes or lips, but not both. And keep the rest of your makeup neutral. Pair a bright eye with a subtle lip or match a dark red lip with a neutral shadow on the eyelids.
Read more fashion and beauty news on graziadaily.co.uk
See what's in the latest issue of GRAZIA magazine
Click here to subscribe to the GraziaDaily newsletter